Once a domain name change has taken effect, visitors and users will find your wiki by typing the new domain into their browser (your old address will continue to redirect to the new location indefinitely). When they arrive at your wiki, the new domain will be displayed in the address bar.
What to Do
- Make sure you already own the domain. If you don’t already own the domain, you must purchase it from a domain registrar.
- Go to Settings > Domain Name
- Enter your new domain name in the field under Custom Domain and click "Show Me My Settings" to find the DNS entries for your domain.
- If you are using a domain you purchased from a registrar, login to your account with the registrar and create or update your CNAME records with the settings from the previous step. The exact steps to take will vary from registrar to registrar. Google has provided instructions for managing these settings through some of the most popular registrars:
Yahoo! Small Business
If you did not purchase your domain from one of these registrars, contact your network administrator and send them the settings you generated in the previous step so that they can update the settings for your domain.
- Wait 24 hours for the changes to take effect.
- Go back to Settings > Domain Name. Enter your new domain and click Change Custom Domain.